dr. dominik munz
lab: +49 (0)9131 85-27464
There are currently openings for Bachelor or Master Thesis (option for subsequent Ph.D. position) available. Anyone interested in more information, please contact Dominik Munz.
Current Research and Research Interest:
Research is directed at the development of sustainable catalytic procedures for the oxidative refinement of hydrocarbons and the activation of small molecules like CO, CO2, N2O, or H2O. Rational catalyst design is guided by DFT calculations and the isolation of reactive intermediates. Currently, novel concepts for the conversion of hydrocarbons with amines are investigated. Further interests lie in the field of carbon centered radicals for application in organic electronics.
A strong interdisciplinary approach is emphasized including besides synthetic organic and inorganic synthesis advanced spectroscopy, electrochemistry and especially the predictions by quantum chemical calculations.
July 2014 – June 2016
Postdoctoral Stay: University of California, San Diego (PI: G. Bertrand)
“Synthesis and Applications of Functionalized CAAC Ligands and Carbon Radicals”
August 2013 – June 2014
Postdoctoral Stay: Center for Catalytic Hydrocarbon Functionalization CCHF, University of Virginia (PI: T. B. Gunnoe)
“Methane Oxidation with Main-Group Oxidants and Aerobic Oxidation of Aromatics and Olefins with Single-Site Catalysts”
Dr. rer. nat.: TU Dresden (PI: Th. Strassner):
“Alkane Activation and Functionalization with Palladium bis-NHC Catalysts – Mechanism, Catalyst Development, and DFT-Calculations”
Diploma: TU Dresden (PI: Th. Strassner)
“Experimental and Computational Studies on Transition Metal Catalyzed Oxidations of Hydrocarbons”
Grants and Fellowships
- Studienstiftung des Deutschen Volkes – Ph.D. Fellowship
- German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) – Postdoctoral Fellowship
- German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) – Postdoctoral Return Fellowship
- Liebig-Stipendium (Fonds der chemischen Industrie) – Habilitation Fellowship
- D. Munz, J. Chu, M. Melaimi, G. Bertrand Angew. Chem., Int. Ed. 2016, 55 (41), 12886. «NHC-CAAC Heterodimers with Three Stable Oxidation States».
- J. Chu,# D. Munz,# R. Jazzar, M. Melaimi, G. Bertrand «Synthesis of Hemilabile Cyclic (Alkyl)(amino)carbenes (CAACs) and Applications in Organometallic Chemistry» J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2016, 138, 7884. # D.M and J.C. contributed equally.
- L. Liu, D. Ruiz, D. Munz, G. Bertrand «A Singlet Phosphinidene Stable at Room Temperature» Chem. 2016, 1, 147.
- D. Munz, D. Wang, M. M. Moyer, M. S. Webster-Gardiner, P. Kunal, D. Watts, B. G. Trewyn, A. N. Vedernikov, T. B. Gunnoe, «Aerobic Epoxidation of Olefin by Platinum Catalysts Supported on Mesoporous Silica Nanoparticles». ACS Catal., 2016, 6,4584.
- D. Munz, M. W. Gardiner, R. Fu, T. Strassner, R. I. Nielsen, W. A. Goddard, T. B. Gunnoe ACS Catal. 2015, 5 (2), 769. «Proton or Metal? The H/D Exchange of Arenes in Acidic Solvents».
- G. C. Fortman, N. C. Boaz, D. Munz, M. M. Konnick, R. A. Periana, J. T. Groves, T. B. Gunnoe J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2014, 136 (23), 8393. «Selective Monooxidation of Light Alkanes Using Chloride and Iodate».
- D. Munz, T. Strassner, Angew. Chem., Int. Ed. 2014, 53 (9), 2485. «Propane CH Activation by Palladium Complexes with Chelating bis(NHC) Ligands and Aerobic Co-oxidation».
For a complete list, please see: http://www.researcherid.com/rid/F-5184-2013